I found a dock leaf in the garden today, turned to lace by leaf beetles. I made a drawing of it using masking fluid and watercolour paint.
I think this looks a little indistinct on the red paper, so may emphasise the ‘holes’ with a black border. My husband suggested printing through the holes of the actual leaf. That would give the other half of this image. I will have to look for a new leaf to try that technique, as this leaf has shrivelled in the heat.
Updated 27/6/16: here’s the version with black outlines made on a scanned version of the painting.
It now reminds me of a map, and has more of a graphic feel to it, and would probably suit a darker/brighter infill.